Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Just finished reading The Morning They Came For Us: Dispatches from Syria by Janine di Giovanni, a reporter who has covered many difficult areas of the world. One comment she makes is that as embedded as she is in the fighting and dodging bullets and people's lives, she knows she will leave. She has a passport and a way out. Someone will come for her in jail. She cannot fully understand the situation but merely observe and report on what she sees, knowing a hot shower waits for her at home. 

I am always aware and humbled by the courage that is faced by those I can only observe and assist in a small way.

I was assigned to the distribution center, handing out necessities to new refugees, but the needs of the camp shifted, and I will be working with children ages 4-12. I'll just pack up the rhymes and songs, but I doubt there is any way to prepare for what is there.

Leaving September 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment