Thursday, August 31, 2017

"I don't know anyone who died of natural causes."

This line is from an collection of interviews Wendy Pearlman includes in her book 

We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria. It has been the most profound reading I have done so far about the Syrian experience from the beginnings of revolution to life in another part of the world.


Sometimes I am overwhelmed with the enormous need, the inexplicable impossibility to giving help, the huge potential for error or injustice or harm. But if no one took the risk, nothing would be done. I am honored to offer a small part of this relief. In my case I will be dispensing food and clothing as well as working in the laundry facility. 

And without knowing who I will encounter children who have never been to school, people who traveled 350 persons in a 40 person boat, those who arrive with only what they can carry, and those who have never known a person to die of natural causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment